Care during orthodontic treatment
Whilst you are having orthodontic treatment, there are some things you that may impact you.
- Your monthly or periodic visits to your orthodontist is important. The success for fixed braces is based on your discipline of going for your monthly adjustment visits for braces adjustment or changing your clear aligners sequentially and correctly. Your orthodontist tracks that our orthodontic treatment is on track and teeth is shifted in the correctly.
- You may experience some minor changes in diet whilst having treatment. For fixed braces, you should avoid biting sticky, hard an cruncy foods. Do be aware of sugary, acidic soft drinks that can cause bacteria and tooth decay. Drink plain water if possible.
- With braces, more frequent cleanng and tooth-brushing is recommended along with daily flossing to ensure that teeth and gums are kept healthy thoughout treatment. Cleaning removes plaque and food debris left on the teeth and around braces. If teeth are not cleaned, you can get teeth cavities, swollen gums, bad breath and permanent white marks on the teeth.
Visit and call up your orthodontist when:
- Bracket or wire on my fixed braces comes loose
- You have lost or misplace a clear aligner
- Usual discomfort
Tools to help cleaning during orthodontic treatment
- Interproximal brushes : helps dislodge plaque and food particles trapped between teeth. It clear out debris that catches on brackets and wires.
- Water irrigators : enables watr to flush out food particles quickly and easily
- Fluoride mouth rinse : comes in various strength concentration that can help strengthen tooth enamel and help prevent white marks over teeth.